VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Thursday, September 26, 2013

That Degree CAN get you THERE!

Sometimes I read an article and have to sit and stew on it for a few days as I ponder what I really think about it. I came across the article 9 Ways a Theatre Degree Trumps a Business Degree last week. The author is a theatre major but currently working as a PR and Communications professional. He was inspired to write the article to encourage a friend who felt like her theatre degree didn't mean anything in the business world.

According to the author, here are the key advantages that an employee with a theatre degree brings to the table:
  1. Advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills
  2. Calm in a crisis
  3. Understand deadlines and respect them
  4. An eye on audience perception
  5. Courageous
  6. Resourceful
  7. Team Player
  8. Versatile
  9. Flexible
I mostly agree with him on all these points. And, in fact, when I was working at a large corporation and things ALWAYS seemed to be delayed, I made the comment that delaying an "opening" just DOESN'T happen in theatre. The show goes ON!

What I do enjoy MOST about this article is the creativity he employees to help his friend see all her positive qualities; and move forward in confidence in a career that isn't directly related to her degree. The amazing thing is, YOU could create a list like this for nearly ANY degree you have and how YOUR degree helps you in your current profession. (Note: Of COURSE, there are SOME careers that require a specialized degree. If that is what you want to do, then this post MIGHT not be for you!!)

So, get creative friends. IF your degree doesn't match a job you a) currently hold; or b) wish you had; then get out a piece of paper and write down all the positive and TRANSFERABLE skills you learned from your degree. And, if you are a college dropout (like me) you can STILL create a list, just use PAST JOBS to identify positive/transferable skills!


No comments: