VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Friday, September 27, 2013

Being Honest

I realized I don't talk about it much on this blog, but, in addition to writing about creativity and teaching improv, I also perform a 2-person show that I created.

It is character-based improv. This means, I slip into an alter-ego and perform a show. Prior to that, I'd always performed for other people, in their shows -becoming a part of something they'd created and it was great! I loved it. Creating and performing my own show was a different thing entirely.

In November, the other half of this two-person show and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary of performing together. As we approach this milestone, I wanted to share some things I learned along the way:
  1. Creativity isn't always easy. It often it feels like WORK and you might have to deal with things you never thought you'd have to deal with! As long as you are PREPARED for that piece of creativity, you'll do fine. I have to work nearly EVERY function of this show, except the piano-playing part which my great friend, Aaron, does. Advertising, posters, set up, tear down, programs, costumes, prizes . . . I've performed in venues where we had to set up the tables and chairs so our audience would have a place to sit. I learned along the way that in creating a SHOW, I was also learning to CREATE the other stuff, too. Thankfully, I've had some GREAT help along the way. It has been VALUABLE for learning and growth and I'm grateful for that part of this creative journey.
  2. Creativity can make you want to give up. Many times.  If you can make it PAST that place. Past the "giving up" point, you will get through to the other side! Believe me! What will help you is a great SUPPORT NETWORK. A couple of days before my first show, you would've found me, crying on my living room floor and telling my husband, "This is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever decided to do." Luckily he just listened and said something soothing and I picked myself off the floor and did it. It was great! And, after the show where we had 9 people in the audience, I wanted to give up. And my daughter was there to say, "Remember Mom, you sing it at the end of every show, 'Make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along.'" She was right. And that show had some amazing, intimate moments with the audience that are priceless.
  3. Creativity can be humiliating or frustrating. Again, just be prepared for it. I've found that those moments teach me what I want and what I DON'T want. That venue where we had to put out tables and chairs and set up for ourselves? We know we don't want to create in a space like that so we don't do shows there anymore. I also have a mantra for those rough times, I say, "This will be a GREAT story for Letterman when we get big." That gets me through.
  4. Creativity can be scary. I'm a firm believer that each creative experience should scare me just a little. So, to that end, I keep adding new songs to the show; stuff I never in a million years thought I'd ever be singing and/or doing. I think, if you're a little scared then you are creating something personal and unique.
  5. Creativity is ALWAYS worth it. It really is. There's been no greater creative pleasure than nurturing and constantly growing this show. We have been blessed to perform all over the Pacific NW and in Florida, for great audiences (large and small!) The majority of our audience are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. And, we have the satisfaction of performing this unique, one-of-a kind show that no one else does. That feels great. So, KEEP CREATING, friends! Keep creating. 
(Here's a sizzle reel of our show.)

No comments: