VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bless This Mess

A recent ARTICLE in the NY Times shares the results of some interesting research:

PEOPLE ARE MORE CREATIVE IN MESSIER ENVIRONMENTS

This article got me thinking. I started wondering if that was true in my creative life. I must say, I tend to agree.

I have a "workshop" where I journal and paint and make messes. I've even started bringing my computer in THERE to write! I find that I feel MOST creative in this space. I clean it up periodically and then sit there, wondering what to do!! However there IS a point where it gets out of control and I cannot do anything either.

Like everything in life, I believe there is a balance. I like to have all my art supplies visible, out and handy; not too particularly structured or lined up but close at hand. That probably looks messy to a lot of people.

I can remember, years ago, when I was working at a big corporation, there was a VP who was completely frustrated by an employee's messy desk. This employee worked a job where he was expected to be creative. No one, but the VP, had complained about this employee's desk. Other workplaces have strict rules on the cleanliness of desks and/or the amount of personal items employees are allowed to have out in their space.

What do YOU think? Does a mess help you think more creatively?

Leaders? If you don't tolerate a "mess" but you expect creativity from your employees are you willing to entertain the notion that maybe your personal desire for tidiness might be at odds with the creative minds of your peers and direct reports?

No comments: