VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Let's Get Physical


I am slipping into my alter-ego tonight and performing a PechaKuchuTypically, I improvise, but, in this case, the "rules" of the PechaKuchu (pronounced Paw-chaw-kaw-chaw) require 20 images/20 seconds per image.

I'd known about this since JULY and had been kicking around ideas but, finally, it was time to get my ACT together and PRODUCE -build my speech and slide show- I had to get PHYSICAL.

I think a lot of people forget that the act of CREATING is often a PHYSICAL endeavor. Yes, I sat at the computer and started building the slide presentation. (Tip: always save often when you are building ANY type of presentation!!)

But, the CREATION of the slides, came to me FIRST while I was walking, driving, showering and working out at the gym!

I went about my day and did my stuff and ANY time my idea CRYSTALLIZED, I came back to the computer and dropped in a finished product. I went back and forth and probably threw OUT as many ideas/slides as I created but, I came up with a passable first version in this way.

I was happy with the results as I sat at my computer and rehearsed.

THEN, I went to the gym with an outline of my presentation in my Evernote (thank you, whoever invented this wonderful app.) and walked on the treadmill. Hard. I sweated it out and talked the presentation in my head.

This act of getting the presentation on its feet -literally- showed me the awkward spots. The slides I'd spent the most time on were the slides that were the ones that ruined the flow of the piece. So, I sweated and thought and worked.

Then, I came home and re-built the slide deck.

I'll walk it out again today, before I leave for the venue and make any necessary last minute tweaks. Then, it'll be showtime, I'll perform this piece and then drive home . . . thinking of all the ways I could do better next time.

Have you ever tried getting physical when you need ideas? What form of physical activity helps you think best??

No comments: