VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Are You a Seagull?

Please read this article by SETH GODIN. "When to Speak Up" it is so good.

You've probably heard this type of critic described as a "SEAGULL" because they swoop and poop. I saw it ALL the time when I worked in the corporate jungle and I see it even MORE in the volunteer circles in which I travel. Especially when working on creative new ideas.

I'm generally a positive person; but, if you want to bring out the Mama Bear in me, sit silently through all the planning meetings and THEN crap all over the hard work of the engaged, active, involved people in the group just before -or right after- the project execution. As Godin notes, "Rooting for your team to fail is as bad as it sounds." Ouch.

My own theory? People do this because it makes them FEEL like they've done something.

How about try this instead: Participate from the beginning. And, as Godin suggests, "Come to the next meeting with a better plan about the next decision." 

'Nuff said.

No comments: