VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Child's Play

When I'm teaching my adult non-actor improv students. I often remind them that they USED to know how to improvise, they used to know how to PLAY.

The trick for adults, is reclaiming that joy of play - and SUPPORTING it in themselves and other adults!

To be VERY clear, I'm not talking about the reckless, destructive and hedonistic behavior that we KNOW our children (and some adults) indulge in from time to time. I'm talking about that childlike sense of wonder, imagination and creativity. That amazing world of anything-can-happen . . . that place of love and expression and CREATIVITY.

When kids play, they come up with things that I would never think of in a million years! I find their creativity endlessly INSPIRING. Just in the past two days, our daughter and her friends created an imaginary travel business, complete with gorgeous hand-drawn business cards and brochures. Our son built a "chipmunk house" out of a box, complete with Lego furniture. He placed it in the woods with seeds and snacks for the chipmunks to enjoy. See? That's SO creative and I'm HAPPY to encourage that CREATIVE behavior! (It serves a purpose, too, they are developing interests and passions that can lead to a wonderful, creative CAREER.)

If you have kids, I hope you ENCOURAGE that sense of play. I hope you supply them with encouragement and ART supplies and musical INSTRUMENTS and Legos and microscopes and costumes; in short WHATEVER they need to keep on PLAYING and CREATING.

Even MORE importantly, if you have friends, peers, or EMPLOYEES who still have that wonderful quality of PLAY please GIVE them the same encouragement and support as you would give a child. For, it is the CREATIVES who are going to change the world for GOOD with their inspiration, ideas and sense of WONDER.

And, at the very least if you cannot find it in your heart and soul to ENCOURAGE the adults in your life, in these CREATIVE pursuits, at least -I beg of you- do NOT actively DISCOURAGE them, just keep your thoughts to yourself. Seriously . . .

Do you feel encouraged or discouraged in your creativity? Who is your biggest champion? Who is your biggest critic? (TIP: Spend more time with your champion and less time with your critic!!)

No comments: