VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

You're Mistaken

And every artist makes mistakes!
Mistakes. We all make 'em. We all hate 'em (to varying degrees). But, I think mistakes help us learn and grow.

I think that the WAY a person handles mistakes tells more about their character than anything else. Denying, hiding, or blaming your mistakes on others is no way to live. Or learn. However, I think there are reasons that people take this route. I've seen even the smallest mistakes harshly criticized in the corporate world. I've seen bosses who make it IMPOSSIBLE for an employee to even think about making a mistake.

The result is a mess. No one willing to learn. No one willing to grow and everyone running around trying to cover their behinds.

I think that more GRACE is given to people in traditionally creative fields to make mistakes. In those fields, mistakes are expected.

The beginning musician fumbling over notes until they become smooth. . .
The actor in rehearsal trying new things until a polished performance results . . .
The painter making a mess and covering it with something more pleasing . . .

I wonder what would happen if leaders in the corporate world took a tip from the creative world on this and expected and allowed mistakes as a path to growth, learning and creativity in their field?

No comments: