VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, October 21, 2013

The Sandwich Artist

Sometimes, there's a creative synchronicity to life! Just after I made my "Use Your Words" post, I read this article on LinkedIn regarding the disconnect between the WORDS the company uses and the action of the employees. I hope you read the article, because it is quite good.

It reminds me that in building a culture ANYWHERE words must match actions. Therefore, words must be chosen carefully. If your company's mantra is "It's all about the customer" then EVERYTHING you do must be for the customer. All your creative energy should be focused on the customer. Customers NOTICE if you say, "We do this all for you" but then they get horrible customer service! If it really isn't all about the customer then choose a new slogan!

One thing I'm particularly sensitive about is the way companies tout creativity, imagination or innovation in their corporate slogans or verbiage when the reality is far from that! True creativity in the workplace is messy and asks questions and does things entirely differently and makes mistakes. If management doesn't support that in word and action then your workplace isn't really creative.

Case in point: Subway's term for their employees: SANDWICH ARTIST. Now, c'mon, really? The "Sandwich Artists" at Subway have a set and prescribed way to make a sandwich. They have NO creative control over the process. Or, if they exercise any creative control, I'm certain they are reprimanded for it.

On the other hand, Disney, calls all their park employees CAST MEMBERS. As an actor, at first that ruffled my fur, but, when I saw what Disney is about -creating a full environment, a story- it made perfect sense, the "Cast Members" are there to enact the story for you and they do that.

Does your company seem to encourage creativity through its use of words, but in action the C-level staff seems to discourage it?

No comments: