VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

20 Minute Brain Dump

Brain dumps are as random
as this photo!
I didn't blog yesterday. Instead, I spent my writing time with my 89-year-old Auntie who is a joy to be around. She's the most positive person I know!

Today, during my blogging time, I decided to join my husband and walk our little man to school.

It doesn't mean, however, that I haven't had a bazillion creative ideas bashing about in my head!

Each day, my goal is to encourage others to think creatively, explore their creativity and unleash that creativity on the world.

So today I'm doing something that is part "Morning Pages" and part "talk to the wall" exercise. Basically it comes down to the same thing, dump out what's in your brain -either verbally or on paper or on computer- and see what "sticks". See what creative ideas might work. What might stick and then just letting go of the rest. Quantity NOT quality is the goal of this exercise.

As an example, here's my dump:

Tried to write a post on "rules" yesterday in the afternoon. I hated it so I dumped it. But, I did love the Pee Wee clip I added, so I'll put it here. 

I wonder what would happen if no one shopped on Thanksgiving or black Friday? Wouldn't the stores just have to make those sales on a different day? I worked 7 Thanksgivings (and Christmases) in a row when I performed at DisneyWorld and it was weird at first, I enjoyed being a special part of other people's holiday celebrations. Stores aren't creating special family moments. Stores are just trying to get us to spend money on stuff we probably don't need. I am closing my Macy's card account. I won't be shopping at Kohl's, JCP, Wal-mart or Target. After I made that decision, I went to my locally run drugstore and bought all the stuff I needed like TP, etc for less than I would've paid at Target. Kind of a lovely little, "it'll be okay" reminder. I lived without those stores before and I can live without them now. AND I saved money on gas. I'll have to get creative but I think that cutting those stores out of my life might actually be fun and freeing.

Maybe the key to getting rid of "sexy" costumes for females is to teach our sons to NOT react or give attention to women dressed that way.  On a separate note, the husband is planning a backlash on the sexy trend. He's going as a beer keg and plans to wear short-shorts with it. To be a sexy beer keg. I love my husband.

Debra Trappen of d11 consulting was right (and I knew she would be). She challenged me to get more involved with LinkedIn groups. I did. I started a conversation and some lovely people responded with some great things. It all happened faster than I expected. I love community. I love people who are smarter than I am and share their wisdom.

Times up. The little man is home from his 1/2 day at school. Yesterday, he built a car out of a cardboard box. He's been driving around the house from room to room. Kids are the best creative idea generators out there.

Now, you try! Do a brain dump. No filter. Just write what's on your mind. Doesn't even have to make sense!

No comments: