VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Take Your Time

Quick! Raise your hand if you rush. (Can you see me with my hand raised, too?) We all do it. I find myself racing out the door all the time, late again! Late again!

But, then I read a news story about an impatient driver plowing into a crowd of people and I am humbled. That could've been me, rushing somewhere -thinking it was important- and realizing that nothing I've been rushing to is as important as another person's health and well-being. In the improv of life, the best "scenes" are the ones that are allowed to develop at a healthy pace.

Or,

I regret sending that email I rushed to write. My words could've been more carefully chosen. I realize I've hurt some feelings.

Or,

I rush to judgment. I don't see the full situation. I make assumptions. I get angry or agitated. I feel guilty and ashamed once I TAKE THE TIME to understand the full situation.

That isn't healthy for me or my creativity.

To generate creative ideas, to execute creative plans, to solve problems creatively, I need to slow down.

When I'm running an improv game,  I notice that participants often feel a need to RUSH their creative moments. I can see them mentally beating themselves up when they don't come up with something QUICKLY. Then, the other participants rush, too; anxious, they jump in with helpful suggestions.

Take your time, I say.

But still, I can see they FEEL rushed. They FEEL the anxiety of their fellow players.

Take your time.

Is what you're rushing to do REALLY urgent?
Or are you MAKING it urgent because you're in the HABIT of rushing?

No comments: