VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Same but Different

I hear people mention a lot that they are unhappy with their jobs. It got me to pondering. . . .

I realized that often, we downplay our skills, or we forget to think creatively about our SKILLS; we forget to make the connection between similar skills, applied in different ways that can carry across many different areas of our lives.

I will now show my age for this example, but, in the olden days, before computers were widely used and cash register scanners were unheard of, I applied for a job in an accounting office. The primary requirement was accurate 10-key by touch skills. While I hadn't used a 10-key, I had manually worked a cash register. The key pad on a cash register of that day was very similar to the keypad on a 10-key machine.

I very much wanted and needed this job so, before I went in to the interview I sat down with the job description and figured out all the similar skills I had while not EXACTLY in the job description, I felt confident that my SIMILAR skills would be useful. In this way, I was prepared and confident when I went in to the interview. (I got the job!)

When I teach improv, I teach the same games and skills but with a different FOCUS to actors and non-actors. With actors, I focus on character development and physicality. I focus on that with my non-actors, but I don't hit those skills with as much emphasis.

With non-actors, I focus on the "yes, and . . .", team work, status and idea generation.

Same skills, different focus.

Today -especially if you are unhappy with your current career- I challenge you to take some time and write down your skills. Not just the skills that seem applicable to business, but all of your skills. If you make a great cherry pie, write it down. If you can blow up balloons like anybody's business, write it down. If you are always on time, write it down. If you know your way around MS Excel, write it down. If you are the person all your friends confide in because you can keep a secret, write it down. Get it all on paper.

NEXT, write down all the jobs you can imagine for each skill.

Get CREATIVE, stretch, play, have fun. Then, look at your list. Maybe you've just created a new career. Or a new way to look at your current career.

No comments: