VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Friday, February 15, 2013

Hollywood Stars And Your Elevator Speech

It is award season. I'm a performer so I watch pretty much every award show and I quite often cringe at the acceptance speeches. Sometimes I have to leave the room they are so awkward.

I'm convinced that someone could make an absolute FORTUNE coaching nominees on how to write and perform a kick-butt acceptance speech. I see so many performers stumbling over their words, reciting a boring laundry list of thanks; or worse, announcing that they are unprepared, "Gee, I didn't think I'd win so I didn't write a speech." That's crap. What they've done is wasted the audience's time and wasted a moment when they could've made a genuine connection with their fans and with others in the business who might want to work with them in the future.

I started thinking, a kick-butt acceptance speech isn't much different than a kick-butt elevator speech.

Here are some tips:

  • Be genuine. People can see through the bull. Don't say what you think people want to hear; share what genuinely means something to you. If you are showing off or connecting on a superficial level you could find yourself making a bad impression; or working on a project that doesn't interest you in the least!
  • Tailor your communication to each person. The Grammys are more relaxed than the Oscars. What goes for Grammys might not work at the Oscars. Define who it is you want to connect with and what you would say if you were given the opportunity.
  • Don't recite a "laundry list"-for celebrity-types it would sound like, "I'd like to thank my agent, my producer, the Hollywood Foreign Press. For business-types it would sound like, "I did this. I did that. I did the other." Boring. And, you just blew your chance to make a real connection.
  • Pay attention to what goes on in your company and your industry. Talk about THAT rather than yourself. "Hey, congrats on landing that big client. After your work on a-b-c project I'm sure they were dying to have you." 
  • Ask questions to find out how YOU can help the person you want to work for. "Is this project going to involve any global marketing?"
  • Listen to the answer, if you -or someone you know- can help, then offer that. "That's great. Our department just started a global initiative. Let any of us know if you need some help."
  • Wrap it up well, circling back to the OTHER person. Not yourself. "Great talking with you. Again, congrats on that new client."
  • Practice -Don't skip this part, it is crucial! Practice in your car. Practice in front of a mirror. 




No comments: