VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, January 27, 2014

It's About Time

(Click the link to read the full scoop on THE RULES of improv.)

Today, let's improvise on TIME.

One of the hardest thing for ANY new improvisor is letting go of your own ideas and realizing that there an INFINITE number of ways any life-scene could go.

In the improv of life I see and experience a lot of strife due to thoughts/beliefs on time.

In a zillion different ways each day  OFFERS about time are made and whether you know it or not, you improvise with your own "yes, and . . ." (either verbally or in your actions). Here's just one little sample improv on the subject of time.

First Offer from the boss: Being on time for this meeting is crucial.

Player 1 "yes, and": I agree, that's why I always walk through that door exactly at the start of the meeting, to the minute.
Player 2 "yes, and": I agree, that's why I always show up 5 - 15 minutes early so I am ready to go with my iPad out, ready to take notes.
Player 3 "yes, and": I agree, and since I hate being the first person there, I always show up 5 - 15 minutes after the start time, there's always someone later than me -usually, I hate for my time to be wasted waiting for that last person, or having someone repeat what they just said for the latecomers.
Player 4 "yes, and" I have a meeting with the VP of Sales right before that meeting and she's long-winded and always goes over. I think I'd better switch that meeting so I'm not late for my bosses, meeting.

See what I did there? For every player in my game -just like every person in this world- there are different versions of being on time! The improv goes on from there. The boss wasn't specific, was he/she? Lookit how that opened up  a can of wormy-worms all because the boss didn't (or couldn't) express what "on time" MEANT. So many times in life, we start out with vague expectations and then are upset when the "players" in the game don't live up to our unspoken expectations.

No comments: