VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, February 3, 2014

How to be Brave

One of the fallacies about improvisation is that you're just doing something off the top of your head and that there's no PRACTICE involved. But, in reality, to get really great at improv, you have to practice constantly.

The same goes for scenes in your life.

Some of my most proud moments are when I got out of my rut and reacted DIFFERENTLY to a scenario that had repeated itself in the past.

I tried a different "yes, and . . . "

That is my definition of bravery.

I firmly believe that one of the bravest things you can do for yourself is not believe everything another person decides about you.

I had a dream about my old boss last night. My last boss at my last corporate job.

This is a person and I did not "click". I have no recollection of any of our real-life improvs going well. I  didn't really "get" her and I could sense that she really didn't "get" me. That sense became a reality when one day, she said to me, in all sincerity, "Michele, I don't see you as being very creative."

One of my core values. One of my key words is "creativity".

So her opinion of me cut me deeply. I have no idea what she said in the rest of that conversation. It ended shortly after those words were spoken and I went back to my cubicle and replayed those words in me head on a constant loop for the remainder of the day.

"How could she think that?" I screamed in my head. This woman was the ONE person in my life's sea of people, the only person EVER who had ever flat-out told me she didn't think I was creative.

I got mad. I got mad in the way I get mad when someone threatens my children. Mama bear reared up on her haunches and was ready to fight.

Then, it hit me. I didn't need to "yes, and. . . ." in the same way I usually did when someone decided something about me that hurt and felt wrong.

I realized that I didn't have to agree WITH HER opinion of me and take it as my own.

I realized that I only had to agree that it WAS her opinion and respond to that.

So instead of agreeing to be uncreative and working through the "scene" to change her opinion of me, I agreed that her opinion of me was different and then decided I couldn't work for a person like that.

I decided that my self-worth was far more important than the paycheck. My self-worth was far more important than spending any more time working for someone who's opinion of me was so vastly different than anyone else's had been.

I challenge you to be BRAVE this week.

I challenge you to play out a different "yes, and . . ." and see where it takes you!

SAFETY ADVISORY: I am not encouraging you to quit your job! I am encouraging you to respond to a frustrating/painful life situation in a different way to see if you feel better after the scenario has played out. Read QUITTER by Jon Acuff to prepare your life and finances BEFORE you take any drastic changes!



No comments: