VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Improvising on Yahoo

I like to think of life as long-form improv.  In good improv, offers are given and accepted and acted on. ("Yes, and . . .) There are infinite possibilities and endless choices in how to respond to offers. The employees at Yahoo have recently been given an "offer" which was an internal memo stating that in June, Yahoo expects all employees who've previously been working from home to come back to the office. 

It is causing quite a stir in the business community and I've read all sorts of articles online about how this is the stupidest thing Yahoo could've done. But, I've also read articles that this is the smartest thing Yahoo has done. 

Someone has already reacted to Yahoo's "offer" by leaking it to the news media, despite being told explicitly not to forward this proprietary and confidential information. Good improv. The person who forwarded the memo made a choice, they agreed and added to the scene. (Click here to read the memo, if you're curious.) Of course, they might've created a more dramatic scene than they intended. Depending upon how Yahoo responds when someone violates their confidentiality agreement. It will be interesting how that particular scene plays out. But, at least they made a CHOICE.

The people that are ACCEPTING Yahoo's offer; understanding that Yahoo expects employees in the office beginning in June are going to be much happier than the employees who are NEGATING that offer. People who are negating the offer are the ones who are saying (and thinking) things like:
I can't believe it.
This sucks.
How could they DO this to us?

Ugh. Those people have eliminated choice and have are allowing the scene to swirl around them and it is (probably) making them angry and difficult to be around. Like a bad improv, those folks are in scenes that are unbearable and uncomfortable to watch.

The people who accepted that offer and are currently acting out the improv that Yahoo started have infinite choices There are zillions of way to accept that offer:
Yes, and  . . . I'm going to start looking for another job. . .
Yes, and . . . I'm going to start working in the office more as I prepare for this shift. . .
Yes, and . . . I'm going to try it out and if it doesn't work for me, I'll look for another job . . . .
Yes, and . . . I'm secretly happy to be getting out of my house and back into an office . . .

Play with this improv yourself. How many ways can you come up with to "yes, and" this situation.

How do you go through your life? Do you accept or negate offers?











No comments: