VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Monday, January 28, 2013

Good Boss or Bad Boss?

Leaders, how do you REALLY know if you have a "good" boss or a "bad" boss? There are websites devoted to stories of "bad" bosses -even a movie! But, I haven't found any devoted to "good" bosses.

In my years in HR, I had people who had what I would consider a "good" boss but that employee didn't like the boss; usually because the boss expected their employees to be on time, finish their work, communicate effectively -that kind of stuff!

I've also seen great employees who couldn't figure out why they were unhappy and were sitting in my office because they earnestly wanted to do a better job. But, really, when you got down to it, these employees were doing their best and could never please their boss; not realizing that their boss was simply awful!

Bob Sutton (who wrote the "No A-hole Rule" and "Good Boss, Bad Boss")has a test, to help you determine whether your boss is "good" or "bad".

You can take the test here: http://goodbadboss.com/

A warning, though, if your boss comes up high on the 20 point scale, the advice may be: "If you cannot get him or her fired, get out as soon as you can."

Do you love your boss? Hate your boss? What qualities make a "good" boss.

No comments: