VIEWS ARE MY OWN

OPINIONS ON THIS PAGE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS

Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage . . ." I agree! I believe that life is one big improvisation! I love helping leaders explore the way art and creativity can improve life and intersect with the business/non-profit world! What do you want to learn today? What do you want to create? Let's do a scene!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Note About Persistence

2014. I started out this year journaling what I would do more of this year:

1. Travel
2. Audition
3. Perform
4. Write

The ones that are currently challenging me are #2 and #3.

I've auditioned MORE this year than in several years past but I'm just NOT getting cast.

Here are the shows I'm NOT doing this year:

Urintown: The Musical
Mary Poppins
Man of La Mancha
Shrek, The Musical
Fiddler on the Roof

5 shows that I'm not doing.

But, this is 4 more shows than I auditioned for LAST year when I decided that in addition to doing my own improvised show, I'd like to do a scripted show again.

So far, no success. So, what are my "next steps"?

Auditioning.

I'm persisting.

On a couple of shows I've come very close. On a couple of shows, I could've accepted an ensemble role but, with my busy life, I honestly will only accept speaking roles at this point.

At no point am I considering "giving up". Yes, it hurts when I'm not cast. There are people out there more talented than I am. There are people out there less talented than I am.

Sometimes I even see those people in the roles that I auditioned for.

It doesn't matter.

In the improv of life, what matters to me, is that I will continue to audition.

I won't stop and I won't let it get me down (for long!).

And, in between auditions, I will continue to work on my own show which gives me great joy.

And, in between auditions, I will work on creating new shows for myself which terrifies me in a good way.

And, in between auditions, I will travel and write because those things are on my list for 2014!

What is challenging YOU right now in your life?

What do you do when you have challenges reaching your goals?


No comments: